Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 6: Fruits and Veggies

Day 6: Look in the kitchen and work with the first fruit or vegetable you spot. It could be in the form of juice, jam, or canned.

I would like to start by saying, I’m so glad I’m not making stuff with these prompts. This seems like it would be super gross. Right, so how do I talk about a fruit or vegetable without putting you to sleep? Well, most of my writing is boring anyway so I’m just going to take a risk and keep typing anyway.
I’ve decided to just write about another resolution I had. It actually started last year, but I’m resolving to keep doing it. September 1, 2011 (well, it may have been August, but I can’t remember, it was the first of one of those months) I stopped eating meat. I didn’t eat it much anyway so it wasn’t that hard. The issues come in with fast food and convenience. I don’t want to go to dinner with someone if they know I’m a vegetarian and will be all worried I can’t find something to eat. There are lots of meatless foods so with just a few exceptions (i.e. Taco Bell) I can find something pretty much anywhere. My other issue is with pizza. My favorite pizza for the longest time was pepperoni lovers (second choice: meat lovers). Now, I try to eat spinach pizza, but it just doesn’t always hit the spot like pepperoni does.
I don’t know if many people actually know why I did this though. This is yet another confession about how weird I am. I’m of the belief that the animal was already going to die and that, for the most part, it’s part of the food chain (though, clearly, as humans with developed tools we have an advantage and put ourselves at the top). I did want to start eating fresher foods (that was the point of the vegetarian thing), but have to admit that’s usually not what happens. I just eat something from the microwave that doesn’t have meat. Guess what, cheese sticks, they don’t have any meat in them. But they are so not healthy.
The real reason I gave it up was because it makes me nauseous when I think about eating an animal. I don’t know when I obtained a weak stomach, but at some point, I became that girl who can’t eat after someone “moos” or references an animal while I’m eating it. I’m also quite ADD so when I’d eat, my mind would wander and generally came across the idea of eating a pig, or whatever it was. Then it turns out that I’m in polite company, only 3 bites in, and someone asks what’s wrong with the food. Of course, you can’t say “I’m eating a dead (chicken, pig, cow)” because then they’d start thinking about it and may feel uneasy. Though, I’ve found most people get over it pretty quickly, unlike yours truly.
I also should confess that I have cheated a few times. Some days, I just *needed* a pepperoni pizza instead of vegetables. I don’t eat that wide a variety of vegetables so I have to start trying new ones I think .Wow, I’ve almost put myself to sleep.

Have a super, fantastic, great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment